TMJ in New York, NY
What you need to know about TMJ treatments:
The temporomandibular joint, also called TMJ, is the joint that connects your jawbone to your skull. It is also different than any other joint in your body, because it moves like a sliding hinge; in fact, it is known as a sliding hinge joint, and when it is inflamed or is out of place, it can be a unique and painful feeling, and you may need a little extra help from a specialist at M.Y. Dental Spa in New York, NY. They know all about what to do for your TMJ.
You will know you have a TMJ problem if you experience:
- An aching pain in or around your ear
- Facial pain that aches
- Jaw tenderness or pain
- A difficult time chewing
- A clicking sound when you chew or open your mouth
- A joint that locks when you open and close your mouth
- There are some home remedies you can try, such as:
- Trying not to clench your teeth
- Eating soft food, not chewy or sticky foods, and don’t chew gum
- Taking over-the-counter pain medications
- Self-massage of your jaw muscles
- Moist heat or ice packs applied to your face
- You should see your doctor at M.Y. Dental Spa if you experience symptoms that continue, especially pain or your jaw clicking or locking.
- In addition to prescribing pain medications, sedatives or muscle relaxants, your dentist may recommend:
- Wearing a bite guard or splint
- Counseling about bad habits such as clenching or leaning on your chin
- Physical therapy including stretching exercises, moist heat and ice
- Botox injections into the jaw muscles
- Corticosteroid injections into the jaw joint
For extreme cases of TMJ, surgery might be indicated, but should be viewed as a last resort, after you've exhausted all less invasive options. The goal is to treat your TMJ before it becomes severe, so you can avoid surgery. It’s always better to try the least invasive treatment first, that’s why if you think you have TMJ, Don’t wait!
Call M.Y. Dental Spa in New York, NY and take care of mild TMJ symptoms before they become severe. Call us at (212) 935-3212 today!